Welcome to another almost-fortnightly RecipeRadar update.
There have been a few developments since the last update:
Our first feature-related blog post, “An introduction to ingredient parsing” went live in early November - part of a series with follow-up posts coming soon
We’ve completed a large-scale refactoring (re-organization of code and data) to make it easier to manage and correct the information that we store about ingredients. As a side-effect, this has further improved our recipe indexing performance.
We’ve added the ability to filter search results by recipe website. If you have a favourite recipe website, or if there are websites that you don’t like, you can now choose to show/hide those in your search results.
The application now displays dietary properties alongside each recipe, indicating whether they are dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian
Coming up next
The largest work-in-progress feature is the long-awaited collaboration feature, restoring multi-device application sessions.
It’s proving difficult for the engineering team to get traction on - the design in particular is fairly complicated and important to get right, but we’re working on it.
Additionally, we have some smaller features that we’re hoping to look at soon:
Adding a ‘share link’ option from the recipe view page may be a quick win
We may be able to improve search performance by removing some unused fields
Finally, we’re still hoping to surface recipe nutritional information once this is available via the
recipe-scrapers library. More news on that when we have it.